Monday, September 29, 2008

What Can I Use Math for in the Real World?

I recently read a blog from the world renowned blog The Fischbowl entitled Why Math? by Mr. Karl Fisch. It's not a very lengthy blog, all that it contains really is questions about that very topic: Why Math? The first question in this blog is: How do you use math in your profession? Outside of your profession? Well, math is used in countless things in life. It heps you keep track of your own personal budget, how much to spend, how much to save, how much you'll have after this amount of time. Math helps you plan ahead in your life and it helps keeps your life from getting out of control or other things of that nature. In your profession, whatever it may be, math is there for you to use in any way shape or form. For some jobs, it's obvious, like bankers, construction workers and architectures, and more. For other occupations, it's not so obvious but if you thought about it, I'm sure you could find math in every job presented to you. Now, I'm not going to go on all day talking about math in jobs and I'm not going to answer every question in Mr. Fisch's blog either. I'm simply going to ask you to ponder what I have stated already and to go to this blog and think about the rest of the questions on your own. Math though, it's one huge subject with more to it than humanity can ever discover. Philosophers discovered math in its simplest forms and extended it to discover more complex versions and facts. That is what we learn about in school. This math prepares us for the rest of our lives and it will always be used in such a way. Mr. Fisch, or his student rather, poses a great, complex question: Why Math? So short, yet it can be extended to countless discussions that could go on for hours, even days. In that remark, I'd like to thank Mr. Fisch for posting this question for all to see because it really does make one think. So here, I leave you to ponder what I have said and even more that I did not say: Why Math?

No comments: