Monday, September 15, 2008

Engine Problems Cause Russian Deaths

I have recently read an article from the New York Times entitled Engine Failure Studied in Russian Air Crash by Clifford J. Levy. This article talks about how a Russian Boeing 737 crashed on the outskirts of Perm and killed all 88 of its passengers. The plane crashed on a railway outside of the city and was witnessed by few people. One person said that the plane hit the ground at a sharp angle and that part of it was on fire. It is believed that the plane had lost contact with the control tower when the plane was at about 3,600 feet off the ground, a relatively low altitude. Officers and investigators are saying the it was possible that the right engine of the aircraft caught fire and was what sent the plane careening towards the ground. This was the second major aircraft crash in Russia since August twenty-fourth. I guess this article caught my attention because I read the title and was surprised. I looked into the article, read it and I felt somewhat unhappy and sorry for the loss of life in this tragic accident. I was immediately pulled into reading this article because of the title. This kind of teaches me that you don’t have to actually read something in full to feel something. This article connected with me, and few other things could connect with me in the same way that this does. A tragic accident, and an intriguing article.

No comments: