Monday, September 15, 2008

Musical Macbeth

I have just read an article entitled Macbeth: The Musical which was posted in The Fischbowl by Karl Fisch. In this blog, Mr. Fisch speaks about his second hour class and a project that they have recently created. One thing he says about it is that they did it all themselves. Basically, Mr. Fisch told them that they were going to connect the first act of Shakespeare's Macbeth to music. All of his students got completely and utterly into it. Not all of them were experts of music, of course, but those that did have a good musical background were teaching everyone else as well as Mr. Fisch about music and its great qualities. Basically what they did was take the characters from the first act and try to tell their personalities and changes in their personalities with music. They used notes that could tell moods, instruments that fit the characters, and different dynamics that could tell how the characters change throughout the story. I find this blog rather remarkable, really. Not that it’s at all unusual for students to know so much about music, of course not, but that they completely composed something brilliant like this themselves. I could go into more detail, but then I would be copying the blog. Mr. Fisch’s amazement matches my own so my description would be very similar. What I’m trying to say is that I was really drawn in to this article, not only for my own love of music, but because it is a very interesting, intriguing article. This article reeled me in with its great story and fantastic descriptions and I would bet a million dollars that anyone who reads this article will not necessarily feel the same way I do, but they will recognize my own fascination.

No comments: